Thread: Thinkin of a new project

Administrator

Thinkin of a new project

Its that time of year again where the nights get long and the outdoor activities get slim. So what better time then to take a new project on...
    It was exactly a year ago where i started my Mini Project and got totally swallowed by the amazing little car.

I havent been able to find many projects quite as exciting as the mini, but i did stumble on this one...

An old acquaintance of mine texted me a few weeks ago about selling/trading and old "antique" car he had.
    I finally got around to calling him this week only to realize he had a 1969 Datsun Roadster 1600.
    My first thoughts were that the car was pretty cool but not that exciting...
    After looking into it a little further and using my creative 'swap' google search ideas, i landing on some pretty cool builds.

Here is the article that first came up.
    http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=504

With some copy/paste action quickly jumped to this
    http://spriso.com/content/

and of course..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NISSAN-S...sories&vxp=mtr

pushed it further...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NISSAN-S...sories&vxp=mtr

Just want to bounce the idea around and get some thoughts... if any ones has any Nissan experience..

That looks like it would a very worthy project. The Spriso place seems like they are all over the swap stuff and would be a great resource so you wouldn't be stuck trying to figure everything out on your own. And with a name like Z, a Datsun project seems like a natural fit!

Administrator
    Hey REd,
    thanks for the encouragement...

I also found out that you can make those engines push 250-350hp easily.

They they also have a "vtec" component they just dont call it a "vtec"

Administrator

I want to put one in a 510
    i talked to a kid behind the counter at a import after market store he had one in his car
    said 350 was no problem.something like a turbo upgrade and a tune
    next project for me is going to be a Subaru in a Westfalia
    Last edited by AA_driver; 11-08-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Administrator
    Yeah, most of the time the conversions are on the 510s.
    an idea of a bugeye sprite came to mind today... might do some further research there, but there seem to be expensive.

I LOVE the Westfalia vans... always wanted to do one of those..

Just did some more reading and it doesn't seem worth the trouble. the SR20DE motor is lighter, but makes 20 less ft.pounds of torque than the orriginal one; and at only 140 HP in a 2150 pound car, it seems very average. The new RX-7 rear end will make it even heavier, no doubt. So you get a 5 speed trans and modern FI. Looks like the Turbo version would be a must, if you can live with it's own negative aspects. I would rather go for a Bug-eye or Miata platform and Honda S-2000/6 speed power.
    (quoted specs from their magazine article on the silver car)
    Last edited by steve; 11-08-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Funny you mention the VW/Subaru conversion. I just sold a 79 camper-van this week, that I recently inherited from my dad. He brought it back from Germany where he bought it to tour Europe with my mom; it sat in his barn for the last twenty four years collecting dust, and only had 70,000 miles on it; after cleaning it up, it looked like new. a Dealer from Germany came over and gave us 12,000 cash for it and is shipping it back to the homeland now. I drove it around the block a few times after having the tank flushed and new fuel lines installed.....what a pig; it definitely could have used a bigger mill.

the hot ticket is a 91 Westfalia or Weekender if you don't want to deal with the stove,sink,and frigde.Fully legal to convert to Subaru power in Ca. Make a great tow vehicle and place to stay

Administrator
    It was a dream of mine growing up to travel the country in a VW camper.. hopefully one day