Thread: Back up lights

Back up lights

I want to install some back up lights, but I don't know where to get the signal off the OBD1 ECU.

witch ecu do you have?

maybe do a manual switch off of the shifter?

There is a switch on the front-bottom of the transmission that I think is used for this. Just run IG-1 power through it to the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    There is a switch on the front-bottom of the transmission that I think is used for this. Just run IG-1 power through it to the lights.
    pretty sure that's how mine is

I solved my back up light problem by installing some mark 2 tail lights

I solved it by not parking where I have to back-up at night. come to think of it, I don't drive forward much at night either. last time I backed up at night was with a pickup that had lights, but I still ran into a pole that I couldn't see in the mirror. Of course, lights should also warns others to get the H out of your way.

The built in reversing lights on a mini are only good for letting someone behind you know that you intend reversing. In terms of lighting ability they are pretty vague .
    For those special occasions where Im being followed too close, or backing down some unlit roads, Ive installed the ultimate 70’s rally mini setup… a 60W Lucas Fog light mounted on the boot lid, wired to a switch on the dash, its got enough spread to light 90 feet at night……next cunning plan is to is to have 5 reverse gears…..

My Riley Elf never had any provision for backups. I'm thinking of putting a row of flush mounted super bright LED lights in the rear valance.